How to Prevent a Hangover

Foolproof way to prevent a hangover | The Champagne Supernova

I recently attended a wedding just north of Atlanta the Saturday before Mother’s Day.

The bride is a close friend and I was excited to get outta dodge for 36 hours to see her get hitched. I had plans of waking up early on Sunday to get the first flight back to Tampa so I could spend Mother’s Day with my family.

My Mother-in-Law, Leslie, has a house near the wedding venue and was my “date” for the event, as my husband was also out of town on a marketing trip for business. (I know many reading this are shocked, but I hit the MIL jackpot. She’s young, not annoying, and doesn’t tell me how to raise my kids. We good.)

As Leslie and I were getting ready for the wedding, I told her I was going to limit my alcohol intake to two glasses of wine the entire night.

Famous last words.

The wedding was truly spectacular. Gorgeous flowers. Beautiful scenery. Good company. A great song playlist. Delicious food.

The party was rocking and the wine was flowing.

And flowing.

And flowing.

I was over-served somewhere between Sweet Child O’ Mine and Summer of 69.

(I also need to add this was a Jewish wedding. Which is relevant because anyone who’s ever attended a Jewish wedding knows there ain’t no such thing as a bad Jewish wedding. The tribe knows how to throw down.)

Me with the handsome bride and groom.

I ended up passing out in my dress and a full face of make-up.

The latter, for me, is a cardinal sin.

I woke up in the morning feeling terrible and not knowing how I was going to muster up the strength to get to the airport, which is an hour drive from Leslie’s house.

I felt so horrible that I couldn’t eat or drink anything all morning.

Not water.

Not Gatorade.

Not Advil.

Not alka-seltzer.

Not even crackers.

In fetal position on Leslie’s bathroom floor. Sweating. Shivering. Whimpering. Dizzy. Bargaining with God.

How on earth am I going to make it through the car ride to the airport? How will I get on a plane and make it through the entire flight back to Tampa?

I wanted to die.

Through tears, I found the strength to get dressed, get myself and my suitcase down stairs, and into Leslie’s car.

Leslie subsequently told me she knew it was time for me to go home when she looked out on the dance floor and saw me whipping my ponytail around like a helicopter propeller.

At the airport, I looked like someone beat me up. Sweaty hair slicked back in a bun. Zero makeup. Red, swollen face.

No bueno.

When I arrived at my gate, I heard an attendant announce the flight would be full so “everyone get cozy.”

When I got on the plane, I bolted straight for the nearest window seat. Probably not the best choice given my situation, but I am terrified of flying and need to be able to see what’s happening outside.

I found a vacant seat near an older man wearing a Marines t-shirt. The middle seat was empty until “teen mom” came along (she couldn’t have been older than 19) with her 18-month old son, who remained on her lap the entire time. He kept touching my leg, kicking the seat in front of him, and screaming, but I couldn’t hear him over the sound of my beating head.

Midway through the flight, I started feeling sick.

Oh no!

I grabbed the bag that was inside the seat pocket in front of me, wedged myself between the back of the seat and the window, and threw up as quietly and classily as possible.

(And I will say, it was pretty darn quiet. Nobody turned around or gave me any strange looks and I couldn’t hear anyone talking about it.)

When I was finished, I sat back in my chair and awkwardly made eye contact with Teen Mom next to me.

She looked confused and disgusted. Like “is this really happening?”

So I said the first thing that came to mind.

And I’m not proud.

Sorry…. I’m pregnant and have morning sickness.

(Look, I know pregnancy is nothing to joke about and is absolutely a non-P.C. thing to say but, in my mind, lying about being pregnant was better than having this stranger think I was a 35 year-old irresponsible lush who can’t hold her alcohol and was trying to get back to Tampa to be with her kids for Mother’s Day.)

Teen Mom looked at me with sympathetic eyes, likely because she remembered feeling sick when she was pregnant with the tyke on her lap.

She then glanced at my stomach and said:

Awwww…. I can see your baby belly!

I was mortified.

No honey, I thought, what you’re seeing is a combination of last night’s beef tenderloin, brussels sprouts, and challah bread.

I deserved the comment. And it was hilarious. And proof there’s a God and He’s got a sense of humor.

I had it coming.

I didn’t feel sick again the rest of the way home.

My flight arrived back in Tampa at noon and I spent the rest of the day with my husband and kids at our neighborhood pool.

I couldn’t eat any food until 3 p.m.

Then I got to thinking. At my age and life circumstances, nothing is worth a hangover. Nothing. Sure, the wedding was a blast, but I should really have cooled it after the second glass of wine.

The only real way to completely prevent a hangover is to not drink a dang thing.

Mazel Tov and Cheers to the happy couple. I’ll never forget their wedding or the crazy story that came from it.

And I never want to see a glass of red wine ever again.

20 Comments on How to Prevent a Hangover

1. Carli Caldwell
      June 1, 2017 at 10:39 pm (3 weeks ago)

You are hilarious!! I just love reading your blog posts!

2. Stefanie
      June 1, 2017 at 7:10 pm (3 weeks ago)

LOVE this post! I’ve said “no wine ever again” a few times in the past year….never works. But I’m with you, hangovers are the worst and not worth it.

May 31, 2017 at 3:50 pm (3 weeks ago)

Oh my gosh Jenn this is SO funny!!! I was SOOOO hungover last Saturday morning. Miserable, absolutely terrible. I loved the part about saying you were preg and the baby belly hahahaha

4. Leslie Burby
      May 25, 2017 at 10:34 pm (4 weeks ago)

Epic evening to be sure, incredible wedding!! So you don’t remember the helicopter? That’s a shame because you pulled it off beautifully. So glad your hair was already pulled back too, very helpful as it turned out. You were so pitiful, omg.

5. Allison Arnone
      May 25, 2017 at 1:58 pm (4 weeks ago)

THIS – made me laugh, hard:

“Leslie subsequently told me she knew it was time for me to go home when she looked out on the dance floor and saw me whipping my ponytail around like a helicopter propeller.”

You poor thing!

May 25, 2017 at 7:53 pm (4 weeks ago)

I wish I remembered doing that sweet move on the dance floor… but its probably better that I’ve forgotten… xo

6. Laura
      May 25, 2017 at 12:10 pm (4 weeks ago)

Hilarious! I love that you are gutsy enough to share these stories we have all experienced!

May 25, 2017 at 7:53 pm (4 weeks ago)

Aw thanks Laura—- gotta learn to laugh at ourselves.

7. Lara
      May 25, 2017 at 11:21 am (4 weeks ago)

hilarious and BEEN THERE TOO MANY TIMES lol

8. Jackie
      May 25, 2017 at 10:38 am (4 weeks ago)

This is seriously amazing!

May 25, 2017 at 7:53 pm (4 weeks ago)

Ha- thanks Jackie! Hopefully people are laughing with me and not at me.

9. Samantha
      May 25, 2017 at 7:42 am (4 weeks ago)

OMG this is how I felt when I was down in Georgia too! This is what happens when moms don’t get out often hahaha

May 25, 2017 at 7:54 pm (4 weeks ago)

Yes exactly! We moms need to start practicing for big nights out.

10. Sarah
      May 24, 2017 at 10:32 pm (4 weeks ago)

Best. Story. Ever.

May 25, 2017 at 7:54 pm (4 weeks ago)

You and Emily were the ones who encouraged me to blog about it. Thanks!

11. Kristin
      May 24, 2017 at 9:55 pm (4 weeks ago)

Laughing so hard! Jason might have shared with you that I had a similar night that same night at the gala we attended. Whoops.

May 25, 2017 at 7:54 pm (4 weeks ago)

YES HE DID TELL ME. Although I didn’t get any details (or at least just a watered down version) so I need to hear about it this weekend when we see each other. EEK!

12. Jaclyn
      May 24, 2017 at 9:03 pm (4 weeks ago)

Oh my goodness, this is hilarious! I laughed out loud at several parts, mainly because I’ve been there myself. A hangover is always difficult, but add in travel, age AND the fact that you’re a parent….well, that’s a new kind of torture. Thank you for sharing! Oh, and red wine always seems to be the culprit for me too.

May 25, 2017 at 7:56 pm (4 weeks ago)

Thanks Jaclyn! I agree it’s so much worse when you have to wake up and take care of kids the next day… and it happens on days Chic-Fil-A is closed and all I want is a dang chicken sandwich and waffle fries. Oy vey!