Inspirational Quotes: Eleven of My Favorites

Eleven of the most meaningful quotes to inspire and motivate you.

This week’s been wacky. I’ve been tired and, frankly, have been suffering a major case of writer’s block.

I’m starting to run out of anecdotes that make my otherwise mundane life seem more exciting than it really is.

Sigh.

OK, I lied, I have one.

As background, I’ve been trying to find ways to focus at work while staying relaxed and, to be honest, my prior method of chugging five large cups of coffee a day was thwarting my ability to fall asleep in the evenings. I was in St. Augustine over Martin Luther King weekend visiting family and came across an adorable spa/health/holistic shop called Sphere that sells essential oils.

(Disclaimer: I don’t sell oils and am not making any type of commission from this story, so bear with me here.)

(Another disclaimer: I don’t consider myself to be an eccentric hippie. I just like to sniff the oil and keep-a-moving.)

Eleven of the most meaningful quotes to inspire and motivate you.

Kristen Wiig’s hippie skit on SNL.

I purchased an oil appropriately called “Clarity” and brought to work with me, where I occasionally sniff it throughout the day.

Because I want clarity, goshdarnit.

So it’s Monday afternoon (how appropriate) and I return to my desk after a trip to the kitchen. I sit down, grab the bottle of essential oil, open it, move it up to my nose, take a looooooooooong, dramatic inhale, then an equally loooooooooooong, dramatic exhale, and peacefully open my eyes.

My boss is standing at the corner of my desk staring at me, confused and disgusted.

I was mortified.

I was too busy seeking clarity to hear him walk in.

Boss: What are you doing?

Me (humiliated): Just smelling an essential oil, care for a whiff?

Boss, shaking head: No.

He walked out of the office without saying another word.

Ugh.

Why can’t he walk into my office when I’m busy burning the midnight oil? Or while I’m laying down the law (pun intended) during a telephone conversation with opposing counsel?

Minted's Limited Edition Art Prints

And so here I am, a couple days later, seeking inspiration on the internet, in my old journals, and from my friends.

I think everyone has their favorite sayings or mantras that keep them inspired during life’s uninspiring moments.

Sure, it’s easy to feel inspired when you accomplish something huge.

Running a marathon.

Making a big deal at work.

Keeping the kids alive all day.

What about all the in-between, less than exciting moments?

Here are some of my favorite quotes to help me feel inspired when being inspired seems impossible.

Eleven of my favorite quotes to inspire and motivate you.

Eleven of my favorite quotes to inspire and motivate you.

Eleven of my favorite quotes to inspire and motivate you. Eleven of my favorite quotes to inspire and motivate you.

Eleven of my favorite quotes to inspire and motivate you.

Eleven of my favorite quotes to inspire and motivate you.

Eleven of my favorite quotes to inspire and motivate you.

Eleven of my favorite quotes to inspire and motivate you.

Eleven of my favorite quotes to inspire and motivate you.

Eleven of my favorite inspirational and motivational quotes to inspire and motivate you.

What are your favorite inspirational quotes to get you through the stinky times?

14 Comments on Inspirational Quotes: Eleven of My Favorites

1. Shannon
      February 5, 2016 at 7:04 am (4 years ago)

That story made me crack up hahaha im sure it was not funny at the time, though. I have been meaning to try essential oils the same way- I heard they are really good for anxiety- thanks for reminding me! I always loved that quote about admiring someone else’s beauty without questioning your own.

For some reason “this too shall pass” has always been really soothing to me

2. Clare Speer
      February 5, 2016 at 6:08 am (4 years ago)

I love these quotes… especially the scriptures and just love love “Life is tough but so are you”! I pinned that! I live in Jacksonville Beach… I must go into that shop next time I am in St. Augustine!

3. Mimi Rose
      February 5, 2016 at 2:34 am (4 years ago)

Your boss sounds tough – essential oils are awesome! Such great inspiration for going into the weekend – I especially love “Admire someone else’s beauty without questioning your own.” Wise words.

4. Kari
      February 4, 2016 at 10:45 pm (4 years ago)

Oh my goodness that story was funny. I hope you too see the humor in it. My favorite quote is “It is impossible to feel grateful and depressed at the same time.” I truly believe this. There is always, always, always something to be grateful for.

5. Kelsey
      February 4, 2016 at 10:19 pm (4 years ago)

I definitely LOLed while reading this haha 🙂 I am totally all about inspirational quotes, I have them all over my room just had reminders for the not-so-easy days. My favorite quote is, “she turned her cants into cans and her dreams into plans” 🙂 <3

6. Monroe Bishop
      February 4, 2016 at 10:01 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you, thank you , thank you …. love this post! definitely subscribing to your blog

7. Denay DeGuzman
      February 4, 2016 at 1:25 pm (4 years ago)

Hahaaha! I so adore your blog. I love the story about your boss walking in on you while you’re sniffing the oil. That is classic. Anywho, here’s a great motivational quote to add to the collection: Stop waiting for things to happen. Go out and make them happen! 🙂

8. Kristin
      February 4, 2016 at 1:22 pm (4 years ago)

Just keep swimming.
      -Dori

9. kristen
      February 4, 2016 at 12:00 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks for this! This is what I needed to hear today. I really love the one about her success is not your failure – something I keep telling myself in this blog eat blog world.

10. Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom
      February 4, 2016 at 9:13 am (4 years ago)

Too funny! You essential oil huffer you… ;P Thinking of you with the writers block…. been struggling with some of that myself this month. =/

11. Michelle
      February 4, 2016 at 6:14 am (4 years ago)

I have to many to list. But,, if I had to do one off the top of my head, my own made up version: It’s a choice, choose happy! I enjoy seeing your quotes pop up on Instagram. Hey, join me over at my place for my new linkup party beginning today. You might unlock that writer’s block. Bring your coffee.