The Red Lobster Reject: Served Me Right

Dealing with workplace rejection: The Champagne Supernova |http://thechampagnesupernova.com/2016/01/rejection

It was the summer between my sophomore and junior year of college at the University of Florida.

I accidentally wrecked the truck of a guy I was dating, causing $1,200 worth of damage. And in 2002, that was a lot of money. Especially for a college student with no income.

After calling my parents and hysterically reporting the news, I did what any logical 20 year-old would do. I opened the local newspaper and looked for part time employment.

The Red Lobster posted an ad in the classified section for servers.

Perfect, I thought.

I didn’t have any waitressing experience, but who cared? I could wing it. At the time, the average entree at Red Lobster was around $12, which meant I would earn good tips and ultimately be able to help pay for the damage to the vehicle while putting some money in my pocket for the school year.

My boyfriend drove me to the Red Lobster so I could apply for the position in person. He agreed to wait for me in the parking lot while I went inside. (Because, back in “the day”, I didn’t have a cell phone to easily contact him when the application process was over. Read about other modern conveniences that didn’t exist when I was in college here.)

When I arrived, the manager on duty, a middle aged woman named Barb, advised me that I had perfect timing, because they were about to start interviews, and she invited me to participate. Barb started working at Red Lobster as a busser when she was 15, had leathery skin, a tattoo on her left ring finger, and a gold front tooth.

I got this, I thought.

The interview process had two parts. The first was a timed, written exam that was graded electronically. Those who passed the written portion engaged in one-on-one interviews with the management, who made the final hiring decision.

There were roughly 15 other people in the Red Lobster entrance area who were applying for serving positions along with me.

They varied in age and gender, but there was one common denominator. They all smelled like a bowling alley: cigarettes and onion rings. Some of them looked like they hadn’t bathed in a couple days. One lady was wearing a Food Lion uniform. There also was a Hispanic man who handed Barb a piece of paper stating that he couldn’t speak English. She directed him to the kitchen.

I was certain I was the only person in the room with any type of higher education. I was also certain I was the only person who showered in the last 24 hours.

Being a stuck up, self-absorbed twenysomething, I thought to myself: I’ve got this interview in the bag!

Barb corralled us into a room where were given an exam packet, a Scantron-style grading sheet, and a Number 2 pencil. She advised she’d return in ten minutes, and we had to answer as many questions as we could.

The clock started ticking.

I felt like Rocky in the Final Countdown. I slicked my hair into a pony tail, grabbed a Tic Tac from my purse, and put on my game face.

Question One: What animal do baby back ribs come from?

A. Pigs. B. Cows C. Fish D. Chickens

Me: Jeez. I don’t really eat baby back ribs and I don’t remember the cook ever serving them at the sorority house. Shoot, I thought this was a seafood place, not a meat place. I guess they’re from cows. Yeah, must be cows.

I bubbled in the B.

Question Two: How many quarts of coleslaw would it take to make a gallon?

A. Two. B. Four. C. Six D. Eight

Me: Why is this relevant? Wouldn’t it be easier to just scoop a bunch of coleslaw into a milk jug until it’s full? I don’t flipping know. Eight sounds about right. Moving on.

I bubbled in the D.

Question Three: Sally’s meal is $14.99 and Justin’s meal is $12.99. They both order sodas, which are each $.99. Sally orders a brownie sundae, which is $3.99, and Justin follows her lead by ordering cheesecake, which is also $3.99. When it’s time to pay the bill, Justin gives his server a $50.00 bill and tells him to keep 20% as a tip. How much change should the server give Justin? Round the numbers up and don’t account for sales tax.

A. $3.51 B. $2.99 C. $3.99 D. $4.47

Me: What? I need a calculator. If I was good at math, I’d be pre-med instead of pre-law. I scribbled some numbers on the side of the examination packet and started getting nervous it was taking too much time. None of my “answers” matched the choice options. I looked at the numbers. Two of the choices end in $.99. All of Sally and Justin’s food and beverage selections ended in $.99. So, clearly, either B or C were correct. I’ve always heard if you’re uncertain of the answer on a multiple choice test, go with C. So that’s what I did.

I bubbled in the C.

The questions continued. Some were difficult and others were easy. Eventually, a buzzer went off and Barb entered the room and collected our bubble sheets. She advised us to gather back into the lobby while the computer tabulated the results.

While we were waiting, nobody else seemed nervous. I saw the Hispanic man leave the kitchen area and give one of my fellow server applicants a high-five, so I assumed he secured some type of position as a cook or dish washer.

Did he have to take an exam?

I overheard one of the applicants ask another applicant for a ride home after the interview because she and her baby daddy were in an argument and she didn’t want to take the bus back to her apartment.

She literally said “baby daddy.”

After a couple minutes, Barb returned to the lobby.

Jennifer Daku? she said, eyeballing the room.

I raised my hand.

Yes yes yes yes yes! I thought. I must have received the highest score on the exam! That’s why Barb’s specifically calling my name and nobody else’s! She’s probably going to suggest bypassing the serving position and directly promoting me to management without the need for an interview!

You didn’t pass the exam. But everyone else can come back to the offices with me for interviews.

To say I was shocked was an understatement. I thought Ashton Kutcher was going to swing the front door open and tell me I just got Punk’d. I thought Barb was going to confess that my boyfriend gave her $10 to mess with me and the entire thing was a practical joke. I thought I would eventually wake up from this Cheddar Bay biscuit and Shrimp Scampi nightmare.

Defeated, I walked to the parking lot, got into my boyfriend’s truck, told him what happened, and eventually started crying.

The experience was humbling and humiliating.

Served me right for thinking I was too good for Red Lobster. Served me right for thinking I was better than the other applicants. Served me right for mentally jeering Barb, the Hispanic guy, the Food Lion lady, and the woman with the baby daddy.

I went in seeking a server position but, instead, got served a dose of reality and it served me right.

Thirteen years later, I tell the story and laugh.

It’s pretty hilarious.

For anyone wondering, baby back ribs come from pigs, it takes four quarts of coleslaw to make a gallon, and the hypothetical server should have given Justin $4.47 in change.

25 Comments on The Red Lobster Reject: Served Me Right

1. Ruthie
      January 13, 2016 at 11:53 pm (2 years ago)

Omg this is hilarious!!! Thanks so much for sharing. lol

2. Jenny
      January 13, 2016 at 10:56 pm (2 years ago)

This was a great story!
      It made me giggle for sure and I love how vividly you painted a picture for the reader.

xoxo, Jenny

3. jennyb
      January 13, 2016 at 8:46 pm (2 years ago)

Ha ha. I can relate. Somehow you would think that personal hygiene should also be a component of the interview process!!!

4. Kelly
      January 8, 2016 at 1:39 pm (2 years ago)

Haha, this is hysterical! Thanks for brightening up my day! Hope you have a wonderful weekend 🙂

5. Amber | Cupcakes and Coffee Grounds
      January 7, 2016 at 11:54 am (2 years ago)

HAHAH…Oh my goodness. Those kinds of stories are the absolute best. Sometimes it takes a proverbial slap in the face to bring us to a point of humbleness.

Love it. All of it. Cheers to Red Lobster!

6. Angie @ My So-Called Chaos
      January 6, 2016 at 2:48 pm (2 years ago)

Haha, you have a gift for telling stories! Great tale, and I’m glad you learned something from it.

7. Angela Tolsma
      January 6, 2016 at 10:42 am (2 years ago)

what a story. I wasn’t sure where you were going with it. But Servers work so hard, I wish more people realized that!

8. Rhiannon
      January 5, 2016 at 11:57 pm (2 years ago)

Who knew one had to take an “exam” to work at Red Lobster?! The only “exam” I ever had to do for a job was for a biotech company, they wanted to make sure nobody had been fed the interview questions and hadn’t actually read up on what we were applying to do. Luckily there was no math on that exam. 😉

9. Heather Serra
      January 5, 2016 at 9:36 pm (2 years ago)

What an awesome story!! And to tell you the truth, I was answering those questions wrong right along with you! I remember when I interviewed for a restaurant job. They asked me how to spell restaurant and what 7×8 was (or something like that). No lie- I got all the questions wrong, but with the most confident smile that they actually promoted me to management. Dumb luck!

January 5, 2016 at 8:58 pm (2 years ago)

Oh my gosh hahahaha! This is so great! Skip’s truck? 😉 I love the Punk’d reference and dying over the cheddar Bay biscuit and shrimp scampi nightmare. I wouldn’t have known those answers in college either!!

11. Nicole
      January 5, 2016 at 1:11 pm (2 years ago)

I interviewed for a serving job once. I thought it would be easy, but as soon as the interviewer found out that I didn’t have any experience as a server, the rest of the interview was kind of a joke. Looking back, I’m glad I didn’t get the job.

12. kristen
      January 5, 2016 at 12:16 pm (2 years ago)

oh my goodness, this is hilarious. i’m quietly muffling my laugh at work. and ribs- thats a tough one, I totally would have said cows.

13. Roxy
      January 5, 2016 at 11:01 am (2 years ago)

I literally just died laughing at my desk. Red Lobster has always been one of my go-to’s and like you reported the staff seldom seems to be rocket scientist. I probably would have had the exact same thing happen to me..well with the exception of the baby back ribs and change question (I love math and ribs). Anyway, I’m glad you can look back on this and have a good laugh!

14. Shannon
      January 5, 2016 at 10:35 am (2 years ago)

Such a great story to look back on! I would have acted the same exact away and would have definitely failed the test as well…I honestly would have never imagined that a written test is necessary for a serving position! Thanks for the laugh!

Shannon
      Clothes & Quotes

15. Mary
      January 5, 2016 at 10:28 am (2 years ago)

Oh my gosh! I haven’t thought about Red Lobster’s cheddar biscuits in years! Thanks for my morning giggles!

16. Christine
      January 5, 2016 at 10:14 am (2 years ago)

Thanks for the giggle and sharing. I have not been to Red Lobster in years.

17. Kimmie
      January 4, 2016 at 11:09 pm (2 years ago)

Am I totally making this up or was the accident at the orange and blue kangaroo station?!

January 5, 2016 at 6:14 am (2 years ago)

That was it! Great memory.

18. Tove Maren
      January 4, 2016 at 9:44 pm (2 years ago)

This is awesome… Your husband was wrong. I’m cracking up!

January 4, 2016 at 10:16 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks so much for sharing the post, Tove! Happy new year!

January 4, 2016 at 9:43 pm (2 years ago)

I can’t believe I never knew this!!!!!!! Love this post so much.

January 4, 2016 at 10:17 pm (2 years ago)

It’s not something I bragged about, mainly because it was humiliating. I wish you could have seen Barb in the flesh.

20. Nicole
      January 4, 2016 at 9:27 pm (2 years ago)

HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS?! I just died out laughing. And for the record, I thought ribs were from cows and have no earthly clue how to convert units. And I loathe cole slaw, but dang are those cheddar biscuits good. I love you! PS the last time I went to Red Lobster was with Carrie in NYC Times Square. While we lived there. No shame, ha!

January 4, 2016 at 10:18 pm (2 years ago)

Apparently regular ribs are from cows, but baby backs are from pigs. I can’t flipping believe I never told you this story. I wonder if someone calls out “fresh biscuit please” when someone opens the front door like they did at the Holiday House?