You Must be a Parent

You came to my house unannounced and weren’t appalled that it was a pigsty.

You must be a parent.

You smiled and moved your purse out of the way when my infant and I sat next to you on a plane.

You must be a parent.

You acted like you didn’t notice when my two-year-old was thrashing in the middle of a restaurant because I wouldn’t let her eat a brownie for dinner.

You must be a parent.

You were the server at the restaurant who didn’t get upset when we left behind a pile of puffs, sugar packets, and exploded coffee creamers on the floor underneath the table.

You must be a parent.

You were the co-worker who didn’t appear phased when we carpooled to a two-hour work event listening to the Frozen soundtrack on repeat because I didn’t notice it was playing.

You must be a parent.

You were the nice lady at Target who approached me in the parking lot with a loving pat on the arm and said “been there” when my child was screaming because she didn’t want to get into her carseat.

You’re obviously a parent.

You were the Costco employee who cheerfully gave into my daughter’s requests for sample after sample of Scooby-Doo fruit snacks.

You must be a parent.

You were the grocery store cashier who didn’t get annoyed when my toddler wanted to swipe my credit card in the electronic machine. Ten times in a row. And kept accidentally hitting the “cancel” button.

You must be a parent.

You were the customer standing in line behind me as this was going on who wasn’t giving me a homicidal glare.

You must be a parent.

You were the library volunteer at story time who didn’t mind answering irrelevant questions about the book before moving on to the next page.

How many freckles are on that kid’s face?

Do you think that camel has brothers and sisters?

Why is that birthday party cake pink and not purple?

You must be a parent.

You were kind when you could have been irritated, you were tolerant when you could have been angry, you were calm when you could have been uptight, you smiled when you could have rolled your eyes.

You must be a parent.

And thank you.

27 Comments on You Must be a Parent

1. Alyssa
      May 31, 2016 at 11:09 am (3 years ago)

I’m not a parent yet, but I’ve been there with my nephew, and I get that kids are kids!

Alyssa @ Feathers and Stripes

2. Chelsea
      August 8, 2015 at 10:34 pm (4 years ago)

I love this post so much! There were so many of those things that made me smile and go “yeah!” I always try and smile at moms when their kids are throwing tantrums in public places, because I totally get it. Because I am a parent.

3. Anna International
      July 24, 2015 at 7:42 am (4 years ago)

I absolutely love this! I am not a parent yet, but I like to think out and about I do a good impression of one, or at least someone who tries to understand! I am pinning this because one day soon I think I will want to read it again with new knowledge!
      Thanks so much for joining the Living with Style Linky Party – I hope you will come and join us again this week – we’re live now!

4. Meredith@MommyAtoZ
      July 18, 2015 at 6:12 pm (4 years ago)

I love this! It’s amazing how a kind word or understanding look can make it all so much easier. Thanks for sharing at the Manic Mondays blog hop!

5. Nikki Frank-Hamilton
      July 18, 2015 at 5:00 pm (4 years ago)

This is so true. It’s awesome when we can let our kids be kids, they’re not hurting anything, and they can learn so much from interactions with other adults. It’s great to foster curiosity, even better when you find a total stranger that doesn’t get annoyed and understands.

July 19, 2015 at 9:27 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks, Nikki! Glad you enjoyed the read.

6. Jen
      July 18, 2015 at 3:05 am (4 years ago)

I was laughing out loud! My boys are 3 and 1 and I can totally relate to every one of these. Thanks for the laughs!

July 19, 2015 at 9:34 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks for stopping by, Jen! I checked out your blog and love all the working mom tips.

7. Alayna @AlaynasCreations
      July 16, 2015 at 9:59 am (4 years ago)

Absolutely! I’ve found myself much more tolerant (and much slower to judge) of kids and their chaos while out in public now that I’ve been a parent for a few years and have lived through my own kids doing similar things. And those random strangers that brighten my kids day while standing in line at the grocery store – they’re awesome!

Just found your blog – love it! I’m co-hosting the #HomeMattersParty this month and would love to have you visit. The new linky party opens tomorrow! http://www.alaynascreations.co

8. Deedra
      July 15, 2015 at 1:53 pm (4 years ago)

I am a parent who does all these things. Great post it made me laugh.

9. Ruth Meaney
      July 15, 2015 at 8:04 am (4 years ago)

This is super lovely 🙂 you can add in… you are the person who always has wipes in their handbag and probably a spare nappy. us parents need to stick together. x

10. Laura
      July 14, 2015 at 1:03 pm (4 years ago)

Kids can make the simplest of things very stressful at times, always nice to have someone who understands. I know for me, it makes me able to cope with the situation a little better.

July 15, 2015 at 6:42 am (4 years ago)

Totally understand! I’ve accepted the only times my house will be clean is the few minutes after the cleaners come. Why do I even bother?

11. Liz
      July 14, 2015 at 12:44 pm (4 years ago)

It is so nice to know you are not alone. I always try to be kind to the parents who are just trying to do their best. Because we have all been there before.

July 15, 2015 at 6:42 am (4 years ago)

Totally been there! Thanks Liz!

12. Julie @ Everyday Happiness
      July 12, 2015 at 6:30 am (4 years ago)

Being a parent has made me much more compassionate to these types of circumstances. Screaming babies on airplanes no longer give me headaches, they give me a reason to talk to a mom right beside me about how we went through the exact same thing, and don’t mind those grumpy people behind you. Great post. And umm … love those chairs. I didn’t even notice the mess 🙂

July 11, 2015 at 2:58 pm (4 years ago)

It is soo nice when others understand, isn’t it??

Thanks for sharing at Tuesday Talk!

14. Amanda
      July 11, 2015 at 10:37 am (4 years ago)

i absolutely love this all!!! so freakin’ true! 🙂 sharing!!

July 9, 2015 at 8:31 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks, Caroline! Cheers to all those people who are tolerant and must be parents.

15. Chastity
      July 9, 2015 at 11:42 am (4 years ago)

This is so sweet! All so true:)

July 9, 2015 at 8:32 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks, Chastity! Cheers!

July 9, 2015 at 11:01 am (4 years ago)

LOVE this, except I go into hiding when my house is a mess (which is 3 weeks out of the month!).

July 9, 2015 at 8:32 pm (4 years ago)

Puh-lease. I’m sure your house on a pigsty day is better than mine after the cleaners come.

17. Michelle
      July 8, 2015 at 10:23 pm (4 years ago)

Perfect – I am a parent, I can relate! Now a grandparent, can relate even more with a smile on my face. Been there, done that!!

July 9, 2015 at 8:33 pm (4 years ago)

Grandparenting is fun because you enjoy the kids and then send them home (so says my mother). Cheers, Michelle! xo