10 Things I’m Glad Didn’t Exist When I was in College

10 Things I'm Glad Didn't Exist in College: http://thechampagnesupernova.com/2015/06/10-things-college/

I attended undergrad in the early 2000 timeframe when life was easy. Very few people had cellular phones, and we had to take turns sharing the dorm room landline.

Ahhh, the simple life.

If someone tried to contact you, you could pretend you never got the call, the email, or the letter that came via snail mail. You didn’t have to think about doing something immature and becoming an overnight sensation on YouTube. You didn’t have to worry about writing stupid things in an email and having it go viral.

Because back when my friends and I were in college, we never said or did anything dumb, immature, or regretful.

Here are the top 10 things I’m glad didn’t exist when I was in college:

Facebook. Back when I was in undergrad, they had this thing called Flashes Online.

No, it wasn’t one of those sites.

It was a company that sent photographers to college events, usually fraternity and sorority functions, to document shenanigans, tomfoolery, and debauchery. The photos were uploaded for purchase onto the internet within a couple days, and you better believe that me and all my girlfriends were glued to our IBMs, scrolling through thousands of pictures of people we didn’t know to see if our crush-o-the-month was spotted with another girl on camera. Praise God, Facebook didn’t hit the scene until my first year of law school, and even then, it wasn’t very popular.

Oh, and you had to actually be enrolled at a college or university to qualify for a Facebook account. Not like now, where the free world has access to it.

If Facebook was around in college, I would have been arrested for stalking.

Text Messages. These weren’t around until my senior year of undergrad and, even so, nobody really used them because it took ten minutes just to figure out how to type a seven letter word. Further, they weren’t part of my cell phone “family plan” and my Dad threatened to kill me because each incoming text cost 25 cents.

Back in the glory days, we actually had to pick up the phone and call someone when we wanted to make plans. Or we had to hop on our computers [usually desktops] and log into AIM to figure out what everybody was doing.

My screen name was chikenleggz. Don’t ask.

The Bachelor/ Bachelorette. While this show was technically around when I was in college, the extravagant dates on the show didn’t happen until much later. If so, the extremely over-the-top nature of “dating” would have given me an unrealistic view of relationships and made me feel insecure about my own love life.

You mean, you’re not picking me up at 7 to take me on a personal tour of the Grand Canyon via helicopter followed by a romantic candlelit dinner at a castle?

Instead, you’re taking me to the unlimited Italian smorgasbord at Cici’s Pizza?

Shucks.

Camera Phones. Back in the glory days of college, we carried around disposable cameras from the drugstore. Getting them developed was like opening presents on Christmas morning: you never knew what you’d get, and the final product would leave you equal parts disappointed and elated.

There was no red eye correction or skin-smoothing filter. The only way to crop a photobomber was to physically cut him or her out of the picture altogether.

Sometimes you had to hide your recently-developed photographs from your significant other, because you didn’t know the exact age of your disposable drugstore camera or if any of the pictures that you’d since forgotten about would get you into trouble.

Rule Number 1: Don’t let your mother develop your pictures.

This also leads us to…

Selfies. You couldn’t really take a “selfie” with a disposable camera. If you did, you couldn’t immediately upload it onto the internet (because there was no social media) and you had no idea how it turned out until you developed your pictures.

Not to mention that being caught taking pictures of yourself in the early 2000s would have gotten you labeled as vain and narcissistic.

Wikipedia. When I was in college, if you wanted to do any research, you had to actually walk to the library and fully acquaint yourself with the card catalogue. Nowadays, thanks to Wikipedia, college students can plagiarize from the comfort of their own couches.

Amazon Prime. I didn’t have a car my first two years of undergrad. If I wanted to go anywhere or needed to buy anything, I had to either take the bus or mooch a ride from my friends.

99% of the time, it was the latter.

I would have been impoverished if Amazon Prime existed when I was in undergrad. The fact that I didn’t have a job or two pennies to rub together wouldn’t have deterred me from buying nineteen bottles of Bed Head shampoo, a Juicy Couture terry cloth jumpsuit, and the new Vanessa Carlton album just because I could.

Click, click, boom!

Adorable Gifts for New Arrivals at Gymboree!

Smart Phones. Back in college, I had the freedom of being completely “in the moment” with my friends without the pressure of needing to instantly respond to emails and SMS messages, uploading pictures of my otherwise mundane life on Instagram, or posting witty remarks on Twitter.

Hashtags. #wheniwasincollege #wedidn’thavetheseridiculoushashtags #andcouldactuallybefunnyinreallife #withoutfeelinglike #wehadtobefunny #ontheinternet

Tinder. This is an internet application that pulls information from Facebook to create the user’s profile, and then retrieves “matches” that meet their age/sex/location criteria. The user swipes the picture to the right if they find the other user attractive, or swipes to the left if they’re not interested.

The Tinder concept is sick and shallow.

Cheers to the glory days when life was simple and unplugged!

49 Comments on 10 Things I’m Glad Didn’t Exist When I was in College

1. Alyssa
      June 6, 2016 at 10:47 am (1 year ago)

When I started undergrad, Facebook was only open to certain colleges – but thank goodness it wasn’t open to the world, that newsfeeds weren’t yet a thing, that selfies didn’t exist… so much yes!

Alyssa @ Feathers and Stripes

2. Joanna
      September 15, 2015 at 6:16 pm (2 years ago)

I am so happy that there wasn’t Facebook when I first started college. Only MySpace…:/

September 15, 2015 at 8:46 pm (2 years ago)

Agreed… and MySpace was always a little seedy…

3. Allison
      September 15, 2015 at 2:58 pm (2 years ago)

I’m in college now and I think these topics are very prevalent in our life. I wouldn’t wish it was any other way. Also, I understand the humor behind the post, but it may come off a little harsh to some people. Just a thought!

Allie

September 15, 2015 at 8:49 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks for stopping by and for the feedback, Allison! Cheers!

4. Logan Can
      September 15, 2015 at 2:40 pm (2 years ago)

Ugh, Tinder! I am so thankful to be married and not dating with all of these crazy apps and things! haha

September 15, 2015 at 8:50 pm (2 years ago)

Amen, sister! It scares me to think what will be out there by the time my kids are in college!

5. Ashley Swavel
      September 15, 2015 at 1:58 pm (2 years ago)

Most of these were around when I was in college… although selfies didn’t really have a term yet. Thankfully we didn’t have hashtags or tinder or really much online dating. Facebook is something I’m thankful for because it made it easy to stay in touch with my classmates and know if I needed to go to class or if I could skip and ocpy someone’s notes 🙂

September 15, 2015 at 8:54 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks for stopping by and for the feedback. I do love Facebook (and have to admit I’m slightly addicted), but it’s a HUGE time suck. I can’t imagine how productive I’d be without it. Cheers, Ashley!

6. Kate
      September 15, 2015 at 1:02 pm (2 years ago)

I’m so glad these things weren’t around. I can only imagine the fallout….

7. kristen
      September 15, 2015 at 12:38 pm (2 years ago)

preach preach preach!! I remember when Facebook was only for those with college emails!! I miss the good ole days 🙂

September 15, 2015 at 9:01 pm (2 years ago)

I remember that too! Had to be a college student to have a Facebook account… now it’s open to the free world!

8. Julie @ Girl on the Move
      September 15, 2015 at 11:52 am (2 years ago)

I am beyond grateful that I grew up (middle school, high school, college) without all of this technology! I think about Snapchat and just think about how much harder school would have been with Snapchat!

September 15, 2015 at 9:04 pm (2 years ago)

Good point. Back in my day, we got in trouble for passing notes in class. The teachers didn’t have to worry about technology!

9. Natalie
      September 15, 2015 at 10:41 am (2 years ago)

YES to all of this! I was in college just as Facebook was getting started up (I remember opening my account as a sophomore and thinking, “What in the world is this?!”), and loooong before Twitter, Pinterest, and the like were in existence. I’m kind of glad that I didn’t have the opportunity to post my ridiculous college pics all over the place so they could live in infamy on the internet for the rest of my days!

September 15, 2015 at 9:10 pm (2 years ago)

Me too, sister! It would ruin my chances of being able to run for public office. Oh, wait…

10. Shelly
      June 25, 2015 at 10:37 am (2 years ago)

Love this so much and so true! I’m so darn glad there was no social media or cell phones back in the day or I’d have a lot of explaining to do to my kids!! It’s crazy to me how much people reveal about themselves online (both thoughts and body) to people they don’t even know! Don’t they know that stuff will be there for-EVA and their kids will be able to check it out. I think this generation is going to have lots of communication issues.

June 26, 2015 at 8:54 pm (2 years ago)

Completely agree, Shelly! It’s sad that it’s socially acceptable to replace a good old fashioned “Happy Birthday” card or phone call with a text message or, worse, a Facebook wall post. I’ve personally seen lots of people act awkward out in public when they are seemingly social on the internet… it’s very strange and definitely negatively impacts the way we speak with each other.

11. Amanda
      June 25, 2015 at 10:05 am (2 years ago)

it’s like you read my mind! i was in college in early 2000 as well, and i say this all the time! i had those same convos with my dad when text messaging started! ahh, the good old days when people actually talked to eachother face to face instead of through instagram or facebook while out partying! sharing!! 🙂

June 26, 2015 at 8:54 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks so much for sharing and for stopping by, Amanda! Cheers to a great weekend.

12. Katie
      June 22, 2015 at 8:04 pm (2 years ago)

Ah the good old days! Thanks for this, I’ve become slightly addicted to most of these things in my ‘old age’ but it’s nice to have a reminder that we didn’t always rely on them. I’m glad I didn’t have them around then, I was so neurotic I didn’t need any more help with making a fool of myself 🙂

June 26, 2015 at 8:55 pm (2 years ago)

EXACTLY! Thank goodness there was no “evidence” of bad decision making back in our college days.

13. Lowanda J
      June 21, 2015 at 10:22 pm (2 years ago)

So so true. Now you have me thinking what didn’t exist when I was in college because it was way before you. LOL…just this weekend, I was talking with one of my BFFS…(this didn’t exist) about things like this. We had floppy disk when we were in college. Wow, telling my age.

14. Ruby Manchanda
      June 20, 2015 at 3:19 pm (2 years ago)

Life was so much better .. Simple and easy

15. christina
      June 18, 2015 at 6:15 pm (2 years ago)

Ah the good ole days! They certainly made some things simpler! #WednesdayBlogHop

June 17, 2015 at 11:44 pm (2 years ago)

I am so with you!! I’m so happy I didn’t have Facebook or a cell phone in college. Much less a smart phone. The distractions would have been hard! And I know I wouldn’t have enjoyed college as much with my face stuck behind a smart phone.

17. Michelle
      June 17, 2015 at 8:48 pm (2 years ago)

So glad you linked up at Tuesday Talk!

18. Stacey
      June 17, 2015 at 3:12 pm (2 years ago)

Social media and smart devices make it so, so easy to be distracted. I have a friend who’s daughter is constantly on her iphone. She has been known to bribe her to stay off the phone at times, and this is an adult!

June 17, 2015 at 8:21 pm (2 years ago)

That’s really sad. I find that a lot of parents are preoccupied by their phones and every time I’m using the smart phone in front of my daughter, “The Cat’s in the Cradle” rings through my head over and over again. Sad sad! Thanks for sharing, my dear Stacey. The only thing that distracted my mom when I was growing up was Andy Griffith reruns.

19. Chastity
      June 16, 2015 at 11:14 am (2 years ago)

My husband and I talk about this all the time! Had such good memories, but glad there is no photo evidence:) I started undergrad in 99 and I had a cell phone (with giant antenna) that wouldn’t even work in the dorm rooms…so thankful for that!

June 17, 2015 at 8:27 pm (2 years ago)

The ZACH MORRIS PHONE! I love it, Chastity. Cheers to that.

20. Melinda
      June 15, 2015 at 10:04 pm (2 years ago)

Oh, GIRL! I went to college in 1979. WEre computers even invented then?? lol I did all my papers on an actual typewriter, where if you make a mistake, you have to redo the whole dang page. I was too poor to afford WHite out!
      Here from Inspire Me Monday.

21. Sarah
      June 15, 2015 at 7:21 am (2 years ago)

As always this is so so true and funny, I can’t even imagine what it’s like today. I totally remember doing the same thing on the flash site and being so sad when they started password protecting events. Ah, glory days when the only ‘technology’ that distracted us was the jute box at salty dog.

22. Audra @ Renewed Projects
      June 14, 2015 at 12:00 am (2 years ago)

So true! I was in undergrad from 2000-04 and I don’t think I would have thrived at all if I went to college in today’s culture. When facebook came out I stalked like everyone else but then found it soooooo stressful. It actually gave me anxiety. One of the best things I did was delete my facebook account (nearly four years ago). Some people can’t believe my husband and I don’t have facebook profiles. Not having one does create an interesting perspective on how people communicate now-a-days. They think if they posted it on facebook then everyone must know…takes the personalization out of sharing information. Sometimes I feel left out of the loop in my larger, less personal social circle, but still close to my dear friends since we put forth the effort to share our lives F2F. Maybe that is why people stay on their phones even when sitting at the same table: they have already shared & read about each other online that there isn’t much to add F2F? just a thought.

Maybe in the next ten years “no-tech” parties will be all the rage. lol

June 14, 2015 at 6:02 pm (2 years ago)

I love this perspective, Audra. I have friends who have deactivated their Facebook accounts and the consensus is it provides a more fulfilling life. A lot of studies have shown that social media triggers FOMO and anxiety. My husband deactivated his account a couple years ago and thinks it’s an unhealthy time suck. I’ve thought about deactivating many times, but it’s the biggest source of traffic to my blog, so I don’t want to shoot myself in the foot either. Oh, if only I had more self control (or a more resourceful way to procrastinate). Thanks for stopping by!

23. Kyla @HouseOfHipsters
      June 13, 2015 at 7:02 pm (2 years ago)

Oh man, if there were selfies, Tinder, smart phones, and Facebook back when I was in college, I’d never be able to run for president. The evidence of back in the days is hopefully long gone. I cringe every time I see I’ve been tagged in a photo from one of my sorority sisters. I sure did have fun though! LOL! Great post my dear =)

24. Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine
      June 12, 2015 at 8:16 am (2 years ago)

So true!! I was in undergrad from 2001-2005, and I cant imagine what it would have been like to have all of these things. I actually had a digital camera at the end of college, which was such a huge deal because we could actually see how our pictures came out before they were developed! I got on Facebook spring of my senior year so luckily none of my college pictures made it on there.

June 13, 2015 at 11:13 am (2 years ago)

I love it, thanks for stopping by, Lisa. I also had a digital camera back in 2005, but it only had around 4 mega-pixels (which was a big deal even then!) and you couldn’t print the photos too large because they would come out blurry. Cheers!

25. Ashley @ A Lady Goes West
      June 11, 2015 at 12:17 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Jennifer! Amen to this post! I’m not only glad that I didn’t have a smartphone in college, but I’m even more glad that I spent all of my years (spent at University of Miami and University of Florida) fully immersed in the moment. This is awesome! I was at UF when Facebook start in undergrad and it seemed like the weirdest thing. Who would have thought it would become so big. Nice work, lady! You’ve made me laugh today!

June 11, 2015 at 1:05 pm (2 years ago)

Aw, thanks Ashley! I was also at UF between 2000 and 2007 (sheesh, that’s a long time in Gainesville) so we were there at the same time. Always nice to connect with fellow Gators. Cheers!

26. Caroline (Virginia Sweet)
      June 11, 2015 at 11:29 am (2 years ago)

Yes to camera phones, selfies and Amazon Prime! I cannot even begin to imagine what would have taken place if camera phones existed! I used to rock a disposal camera in my going out bag all the time in College…I’d take it to Walmart to get the film developed and then spend the rest of the day regretting it! Love this post!

27. Megan
      June 11, 2015 at 10:22 am (2 years ago)

You nailed it, Jen! And to think those good times were just a few short years ago! Crazy to think what the next 10-15 years will hold for our own littles. xoxo-meggin00 (aim…lol)

28. Michelle
      June 10, 2015 at 8:35 pm (2 years ago)

I had to laugh at all of this! “Back in my college days”, we didn’t even have computers on campus. Phones, they still had rotary and selfies, oh my, what we would have done to people if we saw them taking a picture of themselves (frankly, I still have a struggle with accepting this as a “good thing”). How times have changed.

June 10, 2015 at 5:08 pm (2 years ago)

LOL! You have good taste.

29. Christina @ Life as a Slay
      June 10, 2015 at 2:10 pm (2 years ago)

SO TRUE!!! And the best thing about those disposable cameras is that you would actually have pictures to hold in your hand and look through. How many pictures do we take these days that never get developed? Our kids definitely won’t have the advantage of browsing through their childhood memories like we can in big boxes of pictures that have been developed and saved over the years.

June 10, 2015 at 5:08 pm (2 years ago)

Christina- good point about the cameras and actually developing the pictures. Now it seems like the only reason people take pictures is so they can post them to social media.

30. Ali A
      June 10, 2015 at 1:26 pm (2 years ago)

Amazing. My friends & I had this exact conversation this weekend. We watched a bunch of girls out at a bachelorette party and a majority of them were on their phones. It was so nice to go out in college and not document every second on social media and also be totally PRESENT. That’s something that’s gone now.

I also lol’ed at the disposable camera thing…so true.

June 10, 2015 at 5:07 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks, Allison. My husband and I attended a wedding last year and looked around our table at the reception and literally every person at our table and the next table over (except us) were on their smart phones. If I was the bride and saw that at my wedding, I’d be devastated.