The 10 Best Songs of All Freaking Time

Larry Busacca; Getty Images

“When you hear a great song, you can think of where you were when you first heard it, the sounds, the smells. It takes the emotions of a moment and holds it for years to come. It transcends time. A great song has all the key elements- melody; emotion; a strong statement that becomes part of the lexicon; and great production.” -Jay Z

I don’t care how old I am or where I am in my life. There are certain songs that make me want to go euphorically insane when I hear them. Here are the top ten:

10. More than a Feeling: Boston. This is the ultimate dive bar jukebox song. Reminds me of my freshman year of college when my girlfriends and I would listen to this while getting ready to go out, “pre-gaming” (do they still call it that?), and hitting the town wearing the official college uniform of the early 2000s: black pants, a solid colored spaghetti-strapped top, and Reef flip flops.

9. Fortunate Son: Creedence Clearwater Revival. I was old enough to appreciate this song and the meaning behind it when it was featured on the Forrest Gump soundtrack. I feel sorry for anyone who gets stuck in a car next to me when this song is on the radio. Free entertainment.

8. Free Fallin: Tom Petty. When I was in elementary school, my parents allowed my middle-school aged neighbor, Brandy, to babysit me and my sister. Brandy was a “bad girl,” but she would sweet talk my parents a-la-Eddie Haskell, and at $2 per day, she was cheap labor. She would sometimes babysit us at her house next door, and I remember watching the music video of this song in her upstairs bedroom with the pink canopy bed and Barbie Dream House. The video stood out to me because my parents would have flipped if they knew Brandy was letting us watch MTV (this was when watching MTV would buy you a first class ticket to the epicenter of Hell) and I recall Tom Petty riding escalators in the video. Brandy probably ended up in prison, but I ended up a lifelong Petty fan.

7. Summer of 69: Bryan Adams. If this song doesn’t make you want to dance, then we can’t be friends.

6. The Train: Quad City DJ’s. Shamefully, I love this song. LOVE IT. I’ve always wondered who Michelle, Tamika, and Tonya were to receive such an amazing shout-out.

I think I can, I think I can.

5. Livin’ on a Prayer: Bon Jovi. Tommy and Gina, I want to know you. I want to be your friends.

4. Shawty Swing My Way: KP and Envyi. This song puts me in the parking lot of high school in tenth grade when my best girlfriend, Nicole, was kind enough to drive me to and from school every day, before I had a car. She bought this song as a cassette single and we blasted it in the morning prior to rolling into 7-Eleven for a Frappuccino before heading into the school parking lot, where we sat in the car pretending we were cool until the bell rang. This has been the theme song for bachelorette parties, weddings, and girls’ nights. Man, I love this song.

3. Tiny Dancer: Elton John. Elton is the greatest performer who ever lived. Not many “artists” write their own music, play an instrument, and perform their own songs. Sorry Beyonce. My parents took me to my first Elton concert in middle school, and I’ve seen four more after that. It never gets old.

More Styles On Sale Now at Tea Collection

2. Don’t Stop Believin’: Journey. If college had a theme song, this would be it. So many memories are associated with just one song.

1. Sweet Child O’ Mine: Guns N’ Roses. I know Slash’s solo at the beginning of this song like the back of my hand and just hearing it gives me heart palpitations. The world stands still. This song has sentimental value. Childhood babysitter Brandy (see Number 8) was obsessed with GNR and introduced my sister and me to the band when we were kids. I remember watching the videos of Axl Rose (before the freaky plastic surgery) wearing biker shorts, a red bandana, and dancing in front of a microphone.

What are your favorite songs? Which ones conjure the best memories and why?

32 Comments on The 10 Best Songs of All Freaking Time

1. Elease
      January 24, 2018 at 8:08 pm (4 years ago)

How is Champagne Supernova not on your list!?!?!?!?!?

January 25, 2018 at 8:12 pm (4 years ago)

Ha that was a royal screw up.

April 27, 2015 at 3:02 pm (7 years ago)

Love that list and so funny about your babysitter. I’ve always loved “Jessie’s Girl” and I think a Nirvana song would have to be on my list too. Maybe “Smells Like Teen Spirit”. Takes me back to my brother and I secretly buying all 4 of their CDs (after Kurt Kobain was dead) and listening to them in middle school behind my parents’ backs.

3. Brandi Clevinger
      April 25, 2015 at 6:20 pm (7 years ago)

Great list of songs! My kids know a lot of classic rock and older songs in addition to the songs of today.

Thanks for sharing your list at Inspire Me Mondays!

4. Laura @ Over The Apple Tree
      April 23, 2015 at 10:42 pm (7 years ago)

This is so funny because I was literally just watching Guns N’ Roses videos with my kids! All three know the words to Paradise City…classic!

April 24, 2015 at 11:35 am (7 years ago)

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoyed! Cheers to GNR.

5. Makin' it Mo'Betta
      April 22, 2015 at 6:42 pm (7 years ago)

Nice list! I would have to add a little Back in Black – AC/DC & Sweet Emotion – Aerosmith. And of course, THE best of ALL time…What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong! It’s so funny how songs immediately transport you to another time and place. Usually to my younger days 😉

6. Vashti Quiroz-Vega
      April 22, 2015 at 10:46 am (7 years ago)

Hi Jennifer! Great list! I agree with most of these. 😉

7. Alex
      April 18, 2015 at 1:32 pm (7 years ago)

Some good songs on your list. I love Guns’n’Roses and Sweet Child of Mine. Also “Welcome to the Jungle”. Hehe.

Other songs I really would put on a list like that is “The Power of Love” from Frankie Goes to Hollywood and “Nothing Else Matters” from Metallica.

Stopping my from Reasons to skip the Housework link up. Have a nice Sunday 🙂

Alex – Funky Jungle

April 17, 2015 at 10:53 am (7 years ago)

Awh, you need something funky in that list too … Stevie Wonder Supersition, The Brothers Johnson Stomp and a little Earth Wind and Fire, then Joe Cocker with I get by with a little help from my friends. And if we are talking about performing in the car I have to say me and Aretha Franklin do a pretty good duet when no one else is around!

April 17, 2015 at 1:46 pm (7 years ago)

Ok, I LOVE JOE COCKER. And I love that song. And the Wonder Years TV show. That’s some good stuff right there.

9. Sissy
      April 13, 2015 at 9:46 pm (7 years ago)

This list ROCKS!!! I would have to add a couple though.

Fat Bottom Girls – Queen
      Let’s Go Crazy – Prince
      Welcome to the Jungle – GNR
      Good Riddance (Time of your Life) – Green Day

April 13, 2015 at 10:09 pm (7 years ago)

Oh girl, I do love Queen. Brings me right back to elementary school in the back seat of Wayne and Garth’s car like when they jammed out to it in the movie. Cheers, and thanks for stopping by!

10. Cass
      April 12, 2015 at 10:02 pm (7 years ago)

I love this list! I have instant memories for your numbers 10, 8, 6, 3 and 1. One of the songs that takes me back, every time, is The Boys of Summer by Don Henley – an old cabriolet convertible that I’m still not over and summers that seemed endless at the time, but are now so far away.

Great post!

April 13, 2015 at 2:11 pm (7 years ago)

Ohhhhh GOOD ONE. Love Don Henley and The Eagles. Remember the Patty Smythe song “Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough” from the late 1980s? Pretty sure he sang backup on that. Thanks for stopping by, Cass. Love all your instagrams.

April 9, 2015 at 8:47 pm (7 years ago)

More than a feeling – the best. You, me and Jack’s on a Tuesday night!!!

April 11, 2015 at 12:26 pm (7 years ago)

Amen, Sista. The best memories.

12. simia
      April 8, 2015 at 10:10 pm (7 years ago)

dude..I so could relate..

but landslide by Fleetwood Mac
      queen..bohemian rhapsody
      led zeppelin anything
      and cuz I’m not so old
      green day time of your life
      smashing pumpkins 1979

April 13, 2015 at 2:12 pm (7 years ago)

LANDSLIDE IS ALSO ONE OF THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME. It was, in my mind, an honorable mention. Simia- thanks for stopping by and cheers to a great rest of the week.

13. Aja
      April 8, 2015 at 11:15 am (7 years ago)

Pretty sure you should see Raiding the Rock Vault on your next trip to Vegas. Several of the songs on your list were featured. It’s a little cheesy, but some of the guys in the band are really, really good.

April 8, 2015 at 8:57 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks for the suggestion, Aja! I’ll check it out next time I go- which hopefully will be soon!

14. Chastity
      April 8, 2015 at 9:55 am (7 years ago)

Yes, yes and yes! Love all these songs – great list:)

April 13, 2015 at 2:13 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks for stopping by and for the affirmation of the songs, Chastity. Can’t wait to check out Cowboys Life Blog later tonight!

15. Ron
      April 8, 2015 at 9:10 am (7 years ago)

“I don’t care how old I am or where I am in my life. There are certain songs that make me want to go euphorically insane when I hear them.”

Me too, Jennifer! There is something about hearing certain songs (and music in general) that will immediately transport me to a time and place that hold such great memories!

“Tiny Dancer: Elton John”

OMG…yes! I love anything from Elton John!

I think for me, songs from the late 80’s and early 90’s hold the best memories because that time in my life was very special.

Great post! And thanks so much for stopping by my blog yesterday. It was so nice to meet you!

16. Joanna
      April 7, 2015 at 10:19 pm (7 years ago)

Ditto to ALL of this! I love that #4 made the list and your high school experience was SO similar to mine. Our poor parents!

April 7, 2015 at 10:27 pm (7 years ago)

It’s all part of growing up country. I was *thisclose* to making Sammy Kershaw’s “Queen of my Double Wide Trailer” honorable mention.

17. Sara
      April 7, 2015 at 9:55 pm (7 years ago)

I LOVE the list, but have to add Green Day’s “Time of Your Life”. We had a few nights in college where our roommate would sit on the front porch playing her guitar and our close knit group of friends would sing together. Such a priceless memory…

Oh, and speaking of high school, where is that thong th thong thong thong… I like it when the beat goes da na da na.. Oh lawd.

April 7, 2015 at 10:15 pm (7 years ago)

GD does bring back some good high school memories… I think everyone who graduated between 1999 and 2001 had it as their class song. Thanks for stopping by, Sara!

18. Nicole
      April 7, 2015 at 9:10 pm (7 years ago)

Not going to lie, this top 10 makes me smile. SO MUCH. Thanks for the shout out! I’m pretty sure that GNR takes me back to the McDonald’s drive thru. You know! (Yes, I guess we ate at Mac-D’s back in the day). Love you!!!

April 7, 2015 at 9:18 pm (7 years ago)

Dude. I still eat at McDonald’s. Best Memories, glad you are part of them.

19. Michelle
      April 7, 2015 at 8:41 pm (7 years ago)

From your list, #10, #5 and #2. I hear anything from Journey and I have to sing and dance around the house! I go a little crazy!! Well, I’m obviously older than you so my all time favorites anytime, anywhere are anything from The Beatles. Memories from childhood to now. Their songs just stay with you. This was an awesome post… good to read something different.

April 7, 2015 at 9:19 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks Michelle! I love music. Definitely transports me to another place and time. Cheers!