Candy-less Easter Basket Ideas

The Champagne Supernova- Easter Baskets Sans Candy

Easter Baskets

My kids need Easter candy like they need more clothes or “junque” to accumulate around the house: not at all. Like Valentine’s Day, it’s hard to figure out what to put in their Easter baskets when the stores are packed with candy: Puffs, Cadbury Creme Eggs, Robin’s Eggs, Lindt Chocolate Bunnies, and jelly beans. My three year old, Arden, loves sweets, but they have a tendency to set her off. She celebrated her birthday a couple weeks ago, and there’s nothing else she needs after she received tons of birthday presents (that she didn’t really need in the first place).

I decided to go Easter basket shopping on Saturday with my 10-month old while my husband was at Home Depot with Arden buying mulch and renting a chainsaw and pressure washer (we are considering putting our home on the market and these are necessary evils before sticking the ole sign in the front yard- whew, exciting little weekend we had over here!) Anyway, my wildest dreams came true because the baby fell asleep- and stayed asleep- and my shopping endeavor turned into a shopping spree. I don’t know the last time I had free reign at Target but, man, it was nice. (I also moseyed over to some stores to shop for myself just because I could. It was a matter of principle.) When I’m at Target, it’s usually with both kids in tow, so I make a little list… formula, check… wipes, check… detergent, check… hightail it outta there. This time was different.

Candles? Target sells candles? I probably sniffed every candle on the display wall.

Cards? Who do I know who needs a greeting card? Did anybody die? Who had a baby? Whose birthday is coming up? I’m going to sit here and read every greeting card. Because I can.

Scented lotions? Target carries scented lotions? I never get to go into any of the “fun” aisles with my kids. I rubbed so much lotion on my hands and arms that I became the human equivalent of the Exxon Valdez.

My point, and I do have one, is that I went home poor, but with a bunch of cool things for the girls’ Easter baskets:

Easter basket ideas from www.thechampagnesupernova.com

These adorable, Easter baskets were around $12.00 each and are lined in cute fabrics. Eat your heart out, Pottery Barn Kids!

Easter basket ideas from www.thechampagnesupernova.comFor our three year old, I purchased a cute Circo romper (that matches the one I purchased for her sister- twinning!), an Eos Lip Gloss set, The Story of Easter book, Annies organic Animal Cookies, a swirly straw cup, a Play-Doh Sparkle set (yes, I’m nuts), and I payed homage to my 1990s childhood with a Lisa Frank sticker set.

IMG_4264For our ten month old, I purchased a romper to match her sister, some sippy cups, the same Easter book (thought I could use an extra for Grammy’s house), a stuffed lamb toy, some Easter bunny socks, and a beach hatEaster basket ideas from www.thechampagnesupernova.com

Easter basket ideas from www.thechampagnesupernova.com

Easter basket ideas from www.thechampagnesupernova.com

Easter basket ideas from www.thechampagnesupernova.com

One thing this experience reminded me is that shopping can be exhausting.

What are your favorite Easter basket additions that do not involve candy? I’m always looking for good ideas for next year, so keep me posted.

Cheers everyone, and have a wonderful Easter.

20 Comments on Candy-less Easter Basket Ideas

1. Jen
      April 13, 2015 at 1:33 pm (2 years ago)

I can relate to this post in so many ways! I LOVE Target and rarely enjoy all those fun aisles as my boys (almost 3 and almost 1 are usually with me) are often with me. It’s sounds like our kids about each just a few month apart..

I also did candy-free Easter baskets and most of what I got came from Target while I perused on a day a few weeks ago (with my 11 month old who was sleeping in the stroller) – haha.

I do think you’re a little nuts for the Play-Doh – haha – that’s one of the few toys I won’t allow in my house after I couldn’t get it out of my son’s shoes to save my life (thank you daycare).

In any case, thanks for sharing. I’m a new visitor and I definitely will be back.

P.S. I work full time in a professional services firm, so I can definitely relate to the mom of two kids in the corporate world 🙂

April 13, 2015 at 2:06 pm (2 years ago)

Great to hear from you Jen and thanks for stopping by! The Play-Doh didn’t last long… not because it got stuck on something, but because my daughter left it out of the container and it dried out. Doesn’t she know the cardinal rule of playing with Play-Doh! Thanks for sharing your experiences and a double cheers to the working mom!

2. Astleigh H
      April 3, 2015 at 1:19 pm (2 years ago)

Such sweet Easter baskets!

April 3, 2015 at 5:04 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks for stopping by!

3. Michelle
      April 3, 2015 at 6:41 am (2 years ago)

I use to do the same thing for Easter when my girls were little. Candy was not a hot ticket in our home. We didn’t always do baskets, they would always get a gift and we would give them clues in a scavenger hunt to find it. They loved that! Took my husband and I quite a bit of time around the house leaving the clues, but so worth it.

4. Aspen Jay
      April 2, 2015 at 9:40 pm (2 years ago)

I got a chuckle out of this post because I went to target just yesterday to look around just because I could. (0: One thing I bought for my boys for Easter is an animated DVD about the resurrection of Jesus Christ. I plan on adding to this every Easter with another movie reflecting a time in his life.

5. Sarah Hart
      April 1, 2015 at 9:15 am (2 years ago)

Hey Jenn! Love your baskets! I always include bubbles in the boys baskets, then have Dad take them out to use them while I put breakfast on the table. Sidewalk chalk is also a favorite of ours. Bathing suits have been a big one for me as well, but this year the boys can wear theirs from last summer. I bought them a smidge big and they actually look cuter shorter! I do include candy in my kids baskets, but I buy it from our organic foods store. They sell Annie’s gummies, a brand of jelly beans and starburst-esque candies that are made with fruit juices and organic sugars. And of course, the pastel M&M’s! I also bought some stickers sets from our local Christian bookstore that are precious. Easter is definitely my favorite holiday!

April 2, 2015 at 8:55 pm (2 years ago)

Sarah! Thanks so much for stopping by! I love the sidewalk chalk idea and recently got Arden a huge pack of it at… wait for it… Target… Crayola makes it and its washable. Love your ideas about the gummies and Annie’s are a favorite. Thanks so much for stopping by. Man, I wish you still lived in Tampa.

April 1, 2015 at 7:08 am (2 years ago)

What would we do without Target! I did a similar shopping trip and was happy to get everything in one swoop. I ended up getting a simple white basket and getting a monogrammed cover off Etsy, much cheaper than similar ones from PB! The rompers are too cute 🙂

March 31, 2015 at 8:42 pm (2 years ago)

Those look great! I like the fun straw cup. The boys would be so excited about that. I’m afraid to put candy in their basket because I will eat it!! Especially anything Reeses related! :-/ Every year I put a swim suit in their baskets. Just an idea!

8. Felissa
      March 31, 2015 at 5:29 pm (2 years ago)

What wonderful ideas for easter!

I would love to have you hop over and share with us at Inspire Us Tuesday!

{http://twolittlecavaliers.com/2015/03/inspire-us-tuesdays-starting-from-the-beginning.html}

9. Kelly Burke Henderson
      March 31, 2015 at 6:41 am (2 years ago)

Daku! Just want to say hi and congrats! We are in the same boat with Virginia…birthday two weeks ago, doesn’t “need” anything-especially from the candy aisle with all the egg hunts going on. And I love that someone else else qualifies a weekend trip to target with a sleeping infant as dreamy…now if we could only get them to enlarge the space between the women’s clothing racks-it is hard to get those carts through without jostling the baby!

March 31, 2015 at 12:52 pm (2 years ago)

Kelly! Thanks so much for stopping by the blog! I was just thinking about you the other day when I was telling someone the story about how Sereta’s awesomely brave parents trucked a ton of wild and crazy girls down to the Bahamas for Spring Break in their boat back in 2004. Sometimes I wonder what my reaction will be when my own girls are in college and ask me to fork over the cash so they can go to Cancun for a “relaxing girls’ weekend…” I wish your parents were still in Tampa so we’d get to see each other more. Miss you! xo

10. Emily Preston
      March 30, 2015 at 9:25 pm (2 years ago)

I LOVE this, especially the rompers 🙂 Might need to get one for Lydia, so she and Elle can coordinate at school one day! xo

• Sarah
        March 30, 2015 at 10:24 pm (2 years ago)

Of course Lydia and Elle are friends…Is it bad that I want to squeeze into the romper so I could join, too?

March 31, 2015 at 12:49 pm (2 years ago)

Maybe the rompers come in adult sizes?!?!

11. Christina @ Life as a Slay
      March 30, 2015 at 11:54 am (2 years ago)

My kids always get an outfit in their basket too. You’ve inspired me to make a target run on my lunch break!

March 30, 2015 at 8:43 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Christine- glad you liked the ideas… Target is the best (and cheap!)

12. Aja
      March 30, 2015 at 10:29 am (2 years ago)

My kids always get a few small trinkets, a book, maybe a DVD and a favorite snack. I have boys so clothes would not be well received. Their baskets will be heavy into TMNT and small plastic insects/sea creatures. It’s a whole different world, girly girl! 😉

March 30, 2015 at 8:47 pm (2 years ago)

Aja- thanks for stopping by, old friend! Is it sad that I had to think long and hard about what your TMNT abbreviation meant! Oh, the differences in boys and girls. I love your ideas for the baskets…